The following are the rules for deciding our club teams for competitive events in the 2018-2019 season. The Slack channel #competition has been opened for discussion and questions around everything competitive. Questions may also be directed to the board.
2018-2019 SVCC Playdown Rules
The following are procedures, dates, and deadlines for teams wishing to represent SVCC in 2018-2019 competitive curling events.
For events with playdowns at the regional level (USCA Club Nationals, Pacific International Cup, and all USA Elite events) there will be no events or restrictions at the club level. Individual teams are responsible for registering for and traveling to their regional playdowns.
For events with playdowns at the club level (Men’s and Women’s Arena Nationals, USWCA Nationals, and possibly others), the following rules apply.
For women’s teams:
Registration deadline is August 8, 2018.
Playdown teams must register to play in the San Jose Fall league.
For men’s teams:
Registration deadline is November 8, 2018.
Playdown teams must register to play in the San Jose Winter league.
For all women’s and men’s teams:
Registration must be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with the names of players.
Teams must have at least 3 players to register.
If you qualify, it is expected that the team you played down with will be the team that travels to the event.
5 player teams are allowed.
Playdown rules will be decided at a skip’s meeting prior to the first league game.
For all competitive events, players will be responsible for paying individual registration fees. There will be no fees at the club level beyond normal league registration fees.
For US Arena Nationals, US Club Nationals, USWCA Nationals, and Pacific International Cup, all team members must be from the same club. Other events have different or no composition restrictions.
Events with a club playdown
For any events where SVCC is permitted to send a single team, we will follow the intra-club playdown rules described above.
- 71st Annual USWCA National Bonspiel-Feb 13-17 at Chicago CC in Northbrook, IL. One women’s team, contingent on gaining a berth through lottery.
- 2019 Arena Nationals-May 5-11 in West Chester, PA. One men’s and one women’s team, contingent on gaining berths through lottery.
Events with a regional playdown
Where a team is represented by the Mountain Pacific (MoPac) region, teams may enter on their own for playdowns, and any number of SVCC teams are permitted to sign up. Sign-ups will be here: http://leagues.bluesombrero.com/Default.aspx?tabid=769668
- 2019 Club Nationals-March 9-16 at Dakota Curling Club in Lakeville, MN. Men’s and Women’s Playdowns will be held Dec 13-16th at the Coyotes Curling Club in Tempe, AZ.
- 2019 Mixed Nationals-March 23-30 at Denver Curling Club in Golden, CO. Playdowns will be held Jan 30-Feb 2 at the Evergreen Curling Club in Beaverton, OR.
A mixed team consists of four players (two male and two female) with rocks thrown in alternating order. *USA citizenship is required for Mixed Nationals and playdowns, as the winner of nationals will represent Team USA at worlds.*
- Pacific International Cup (PIC)-April 17-21 at the Richmond Curling Club in Richmond, BC, Canada. Playdowns TBD, will be determined within the State of California
USA Nationals Qualifying Events
These events are “sign-up-and-go” as qualification events for nationals. In this case, the challenge rounds act as the playdowns.
- 2019 Mixed Doubles Challenge Round-Dec 19-23 at location TBD.
- 2019 Men’s Challenge Round-Jan 2-6 at Four Seasons CC, Blaine, MN.
- 2019 Women’s Challenge Round-Jan 3-6 at Itasca CC, Itasca, MN.